Wednesday, September 2, 2009

What a Difference a Year Makes

For those who know me, know I have lived the same place my entire life. That is, until, last year in August. August 15, 2008 I moved away from everyone I loved to come to Gateway College of Evangelism to pursue the ministry. It was the scariest thing I have ever done, but it has changed my life. While I am still the same ridiculously loud, crazy, emotional, "scatter brained" person I always was, there has definitely been a change in my life.
I came to bible school with the intentions of changing the world. Wow! I had some crazy ideas. I definitely tried jumping in over my head and definitely fell on my face. I also found myself and what I believe to be part of God's purpose for my life. Finding His purpose forced me to get out of my comfort zone. It forced me to think about someone other than myself. I was talking to someone the other day and I thought to myself, if the world is depending on me, am I worth being depended on? Am I doing my job, my duty, my purpose? Or am I pretending like I am? Somehow I don't think sitting in my perfect bubble without reaching out to anyone is doing any of those things. I don't recall Jesus sitting on the ground hoping people would just come sit by Him. No! He went out to where the people were and showed them who He was. Am I doing that? That's why I came to bible school. I was tired of sitting on the ground hoping people would come to me.
So I came, I moved, I relocated, and I cried because I was alone! LOL!! I got over it though, really fast! I came and made friends who are a little too much like me and started a life here. I also have seen so many things happen. Our school does weekend outreaches and I have been a part of a few of those and they change me every single time! I love going to small churches who hope we can change them in 3 days. We try and they usually end up changing us. Funny how that works.
I have been privileged to be a part of Chorale and Choir and they are fun for me because I love singing, but Chorale tour '09 changed my life forever. I prayed for random strangers I didn't know and saw them find what they need. Wow it was amazing! This year I get the opportunity to audition for United which is our ensemble, and only the best get asked to try out, and then there's me. LOL! We shall see what happens this weekend.
Oh and also since being here, remember now I am a music major, my little music major bubble has been bursted!! I have found that while music is a love for me and I would looooovvvveee to be a music director I believe God is calling me somewhere else (along with music directing I believe I can do both) I hate to rain on someones parade, and this is so just a personal belief so don't get mad! I believe being a music director is a ministry to edify the church and while it helps the spirit to come in and help people worship I don't believe it is something I should devote my all to. So while that's my fun thing I can do or my passion, I feel called to young people and troubled young adults, so I want to be go into counseling. I have felt it a long time and just kind of ignored it, but I am working on taking it seriously. So this spring I am changing my major to either Pastoral or Biblical studies with a minor in Music. Right now I am taking more bible than music anyways so it doesn't matter. Pray for me that I make the right decision.
I have said all this to bring encouragement to anyone who wants to go to bible school or if you just wanted to see what I am up to. I will try to keep everyone posted but I have lots of work this year and am trying to carry my financial burden on top of my academic. Pray for that too! I know God wants me here and I want to stay until He says otherwise.
I probably won't be back this summer for different reasons. Home isn't home anymore, and I'm not the same as I once was. I pray I make the right decisions in all I do. I love you all and pray revival comes your way!
I'll try to keep you posted on my life...

No comments: